Book 10 in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series…and beyond – Part 1
If you’re hungry for clues about upcoming books in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, Decadence has put together what we think we know about what’s coming next.
This post contains spoilers from previous books including Lover Unleashed, so we’re starting over with a new speculation post. It also contains some seriously spoilery info on the BDB. Don’t say we didn’t warn you…
For those of you wondering, even with the cheapest shipping option I received my copy of Lover Unleashed from the virtual signing exactly a week after its release.
- Something will pull the Scribe Virgin out of her funk.
- As a compromise, J. R. Ward’s publisher is allowing her to write Qhuay’s story as a novella, but she has promised that the novella will be long enough to satisfy their fans. It will not contain any world building so that readers who aren’t comfortable reading a gay romance won’t miss out.
- Rhage and Mary will get their own novella (Ward is finishing this now) and so will Beth and Wrath, both of which will be about how they have young. They may be released together in paperback towards the end of this year.
- Tohr will not end up with Layla, Rhym (she was the female Bella tried to set Phury up with, and who later became the Safe Place therapist), Nalla or the Scribe Virgin. We’ve met his future shellan in Lover Mine, but she may or may not have been introduced in that book. Doesn’t rule out No’One.
- No’One is staying on this side to build a relationship with Xhex.
- Lassiter will also get a book but it will have to be after Tohr’s.
- John Matthew and Qhuinn will definitely be inducted into the Brotherhood, but Ward isn’t saying anything about Blay.
- Murhder will come back with a whole heap of secrets. He and Xhex have more in common than she realises and we will get their back story.
- Ward knows who iAm will end up with, but isn’t saying anything. There are female Shadows, but it may not be one of them.
- The Chosen Selena and Layla will get HEAs, but Layla will not end up with Tohr, Lassiter or Blay.
Lover Reborn — Tohr’s story
Since the release of Lover Unleashed, J. R. Ward has done a few book signings in the US, making me wish I lived there. On her Facebook page, she posted a video, where she announced that book 10 would be about Tohr. It will be called Lover Reborn.
Ward has finished writing Envy, which has come in at 125 000 words and is 40 pages longer than Crave. She expects it to become even longer, presumably during copyediting. Envy’s release date is 6 September, 2011.
Around the blogs
The rest of this information comes from bloggers who were at the signings, not Ward directly, so I especially can’t promise that it will not change between now and when the books actually come out.
Manny may go through the transition later. His blood helps Payne, but since he’s an untransitioned half-breed, it’s not strong enough. My question is who will she ultimately feed from? Just because they chose not to explore Manny’s heritage and make him a vampire in Lover Unleashed, doesn’t mean they won’t ever. But will she have to feed from someone else before then?
Payne cannot restore Wrath’s sight, but George will live forever.
Tohr is going to end up with No’One. I’m just wondering how she’s going to square that with their time together before Xhex’s birth while Tohr was promised to Wellsie. Wellsie will appear in Tohr’s book, but we don’t know what form the scene will take. So it could be a flashback, or a visit from the Fade or something else that hasn’t been thought of yet.
Lassiter will appear in Tohr’s book and ultimately get his own book. I believe it will be part of the BDB series rather than the Fallen Angels. (If you noticed that V and Jane hadn’t been properly mated with the ceremony and carving and the whole shebang by Lover Unleashed, even though V was so excited by the idea of Jane doing the carving in Lover Unbound and we got to read about it on the boards, it turns out that the boards can be quite some time ahead of the books, which makes me wonder when Lassiter helped Wrath and V found and saved him. Because there haven’t been any scenes in the books where he’s looking for his jesses and pining for his female. Doesn’t mean it never happened, just that we didn’t get to see it, such as when No’One brought Payne a scrying bowl in a deleted scene, making me wonder how Payne could see that V’s life is better with Jane, but didn’t know he was still alive.)
Ward really likes Xcor (Core) and he will get his own book, but he really needs to work out some issues first. He has a really interesting back story and we’ll find out about his true father.
The Bloodletter was very bitter about being booted from the Brotherhood. Is that why his book on the Other Side is blank? Is Murhder’s also blank?
There is too much conflict between the Brotherhood and the band of bastards for Throe to join the Brotherhood. When asked if No’One was his defiled sister, Ward was prevented by her people from answering. Instead she gave a KR (Keep Reading). Sampsone was the leahdyre—is it possible he was an ex-Brother? Would a warrior have hung around at home crying instead of going out and kicking some symphath arse?
She won’t name the 3 cousin bastards, but she loves Zypher.
Murhder will be in the books again soon. He and Xhex have something in common even Xhex doesn’t know about, and JM and Murhder will have a confrontation.
We will go back to the symphath colony and Ward believes they will become a threat again. (I’m still wondering how Xhex and Rehv can be ‘of no age’ when we witnessed Xhex’s birth. Could it be that symphath is a continuous essence, kind of like the Omega’s power in a lesser, which doesn’t end just because the lesser is dead and existed before their ‘birth’ as a lesser? But even that must have had a beginning. Theories?)
We will get to find out what happened to Qhuinn’s (still living, if less than happy and healthy) brother, whom Lash had kidnapped and Ward implied that we may get to see Lash again (because he was staked, not inhaled) before her people put the gag on her.
There will always be the Omega because he must balance out the Scribe Virgin. Looks like there may always be lessers, too.
We will see in book 10 who the glymera’s new leahdyre is. Things are very different with them now. Makes me wonder what effect Throe’s return and stirring of the pot had.
Those of you who followed my #LoverUnleashed livetweet would have noticed that I queried the use of the word ‘wolfen’ on page 2 of Lover Unleashed. Apparently this does actually relate to a new species that will be introduced at a later date.
Again, the Qhuay novella will not have any world building so people who don’t want to read an m/m romance don’t miss out, but those of you who feel that the boys are getting ripped off don’t have to worry. A BDB book is around 140,000 words, while an average romance novel is said to be 100,000-120,000. The novella will be 90,000-100,000 words and will be as hot as the threesome in Lover Unleashed.
Qhuinn is reinventing himself, and even though he removed a lot of his piercings, the holes are still there. He still has metal down under and I think he still has his tongue stud, too, so it’s interesting that he’s kept the more discreet ones that could be used to pleasure a partner even though he’s celibate.
Apparently, Qhuinn’s vision of Layla (which I believe is what led Ward to say initially that she believed Qhuinn would be with a female) means that she will bear young for Blay and Qhuinn, who cannot reproduce together as a couple. Her people won’t let her say anything else about Layla’s HEA.
Trez and iAm will get their own books and Trez may perform a special Primale-style duty for the Chosen. Shadowy vampire young? Will they grow up to be Brothers?
Jose de la Cruz will never find Butch.
JM is never supposed to remember that he was Darius, but Xhex is getting suspicious, which is about time, because I don’t remember the Scribe Virgin’s conditions saying nobody else could pick up on all the hints that have been dropped throughout the series.
Ward’s theory on the coffins is that they are the remains of the original Brothers, brought from the Old Country. No idea why they aren’t in the Tomb, which I would have thought is a more fitting place.
Veck will be the hero of Envy, which will be released in September.
Have you heard any new BDB spoilers? What are you looking forward to most in the series? Let us know!
Latest posts by Decadence (see all)
- Galaxy Bookshop book speed dating session — 10/7/2014 - June 29, 2014
- Black Dagger Brotherhood, Fallen Angels and upcoming books by J. R. Ward - May 26, 2014
- The King by J. R. Ward - April 10, 2014
- The Shadows – Black Dagger Brotherhood book 13 revealed - April 7, 2014
- Black Dagger Brotherhood: Cheat sheet updates up to Lover at Last - March 28, 2014