There’s a very good reason why this podcast episode is late: it’s cursed. This is a fact. The recording was cursed, the editing was cursed, the uploading was cursed, and everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Luckily, nothing irreversible happened to the master file!
I think it’s worth the wait, though, because today’s guest is a powerhouse in Filipino romance publishing. Mina V. Esguerra and I talk about sad ending fatigue, the complexity of reading stories set in a familiar culture, and class struggles in romance stories. Can romance fiction make political statements? We also chat about how #romanceclass began, and the many creative projects that have resulted from this community of Filipino indie writers and readers. And, of course, we talk about abs. Because it’s not Filipino romance without abs.
Disclosure: Mina and I are currently working on a book-related collaboration. I forgot to mention this in my intro to the episode, because the project is still in the planning stage, but I want to call it out. This interview was recorded way before the idea for our project came about.
Thanks to Sarah/@blustocking_a, @charlesatan, and Diem for the podcast shoutout on Bookish Friends (around 12:40). And a special shoutout to Rudi, for refusing to give up when the audio technology pixies were eating our podcast!
- BT | Amz — My Imaginary Ex by Mina V. Esguerra
- BT | Amz — Under the Sugar Sun by Jennifer Hallock [ Review ]
- BT | Amz — The Future Chosen by Mina V. Esguerra
- BT | Amz — Iris After the Incident by Mina V. Esguerra
- Sweet Dreams
- Sweet Valley High — Elizabeth Wakefield is one of the main characters
- Summit Media — Filipino publisher of romance and chicklit novels
- #RomanceClass — A community of Filipino romance authors and supporters
- #RomanceClass Podcast — Also on YouTube and iTunes
- #RomanceClass covers — You can read about how this initiative started here.
- Radish — A publishing platform for serial fiction
- Pandesal abs — A visual explanation on Storify 😂
- Hamilton — A broadway musical (iTunes)
- New Adult reading list by Adele Walsh