Congratulations to Australian author Fiona Lowe for her 2012 RITA win for Boomerang Bride!
Australian author Fiona Lowe has won the romance industry’s top accolade with her debut single title, Boomerang Bride, winning the 2012 RITA for Contemporary Single Title Romance. This is Lowe’s first RITA win as well as the first RITA for Boomerang Bride publisher Carina Press, the digital-first imprint of Harlequin Books.
Although not set in Australia, Boomerang Bride features an Australian heroine, Matilda, who travels to a small Wisconsin town to meet her fiance—only to find out that she has been scammed. Matilda’s frequent use of Australian slang—and the comments and confusion it causes—is one of the book’s unique selling points.
In her acceptance speech, Lowe revealed that her manuscript went through 32 agent queries and 12 editor rejections before it was picked up by Carina Press. Lowe’s win will no doubt be seen by many in the industry as a positive sign for romance e-publishers and e-published authors.
In the past, e-published authors and digital-first publishers have struggled to have their work recognised not only in publishing circles but within RWA itself. 2012 is the first year that digital-first titles have been awarded a RITA—one for Lowe’s book and the other for Caroline Linden’s novella, I Love The Earl, published by Avon Impulse.
Lowe lives in southern Victoria and has written medical romances for Harlequin Mills & Boon since 2006. Boomerang Bride, Lowe’s first single title romance, is available in digital format via Carina Press. Following the book’s RITA nomination, the Australian division of Harlequin has also released Boomerang Bride in print under its MIRA imprint.
You can buy Boomerang Bride from the following booksellers:
AUSTRALIA: Booktopia | Fishpond | Harlequin (publisher) | Other
EBOOKS: Books On Board | Booku | Carina Press (publisher) | Diesel | eBooks.com | Kindle UK | Kindle US
WORLDWIDE: Amazon UK | Amazon US | Book Depository | Library
The RITA Awards, considered by most authors to be the Oscards equivalent for romance fiction, is awarded annually to members of the Romance Writers of America (RWA). Other 2012 winners include:
- Historical Romance — The Black Hawk by Joanna Bourne (Berkley)
- Regency Historical Romance — A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare (Avon)
- Paranormal Romance — Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison (Berkley) Reviewed by Wandergurl and Kat
- Contemporary Series Romance — Doukakis’s Apprentice by Sarah Morgan (Harlequin Presents)
- Contemporary Series Romance: Suspense/Adventure — Soldier’s Last Stand by Cindy Dees (Harlequin Romantic Suspense)
- Inspirational Romance — The Measure of Katie Calloway by Serena Miller (Revell)
- Romantic Suspense — New York to Dallas by J.D. Robb (Penguin Putnam)
- Romance Novella — I Love the Earl by Caroline Linden (Avon Impulse)
- Best First Book — First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones (St. Martin’s Press)
- Young Adult Romance — Enclave by Ann Aguirre (Macmillan Feiwel & Friends)
- Novel with Strong Romantic Elements — How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O’Neal (Ballantine Bantam Dell)
The full list of winners can be found on the RWA website.