Yes, it’s on again! Join our Melbourne Cup sweep to win some books! Champers optional.
Update: The first sweep has closed and I’ve posted the draw below. I’ll run a second sweep if we get another 23 people to sign up but you can only sign up via comments. I’m not taking sign ups from Twitter because it’s too cumbersome.
Update: Bauer (#18) has been scratched from the race, so there are only 23 horses in the running.
For non-Aussie readers who follow the blog, today we’re celebrating one of the biggest national events in Australia. That’s right, a long time ago someone came up with the brilliant idea of using a horse race as an excuse for boozy lunches and, in Melbourne’s case, a public holiday!
Our impromptu Melbourne Cup sweep last year was a huge hit, so we’re doing it again! Here’s how it works:
1. The first 24 23 people to comment here or tweet using the hashtag #btsweep are in. If you’re commenter #25, that’s okay—I’ll keep the comments open, and if we get another 24 people, I’ll run a second sweep.
2. Participants must sign up before 2pm AEDT to give me time to allocate your horses.
3. Only Australian participants are eligible, but overseas readers can wear fancy hats and join in spirit. (If you live overseas but can supply an Australian mailing address, that’s good enough.)
4. I’ll assign random numbers against each participant. The numbers will correspond to horses as per this list.
5. Each participant promises to send a book to the winner. The book can be used, as long as it’s in good nick, and it has to be a book you’d actually recommend to someone (i.e. not from your DNF pile).
6. If, for some reason, the winning number wasn’t allocated to anyone, then whoever has the highest placing horse will be declared the winner.
I’ll announce the winner after the race (usually around 3pm AEDT). If you win, you’ll have to provide a mailing address to everyone who promised to send you a book. I’ll email you to get your details, then I’ll forward your details to everyone who entered, either via email or by sending them a private message on Twitter.
Consolation prizes: If your horse comes second, third or last, I’ll send you a book from our giveaway bag. I’ll email you to check your preferred genre.
Here’s the draw. Note that Horse #18 was scratched, so from 18 onwards, you have to add 1 to your number to get your horse. If you notice any problems with the draw, please let me know ASAP!
Marg – 3 (So You Think)
kylie plester – 4 (Zipping)
Nicole Murphy – 11 (Descarado)
alana m – 1 (Shocking)
L – 15 (Monaco Consul)
alex – 12 (Harris Tweed)
sableheart – 14 (Master O’Reilly)
obsidiantears83 – 19 (Holberg)
Bree – 24 (Maluckyday)
max california – 9 (Tokai Trick)
Sabina – 21 (Red Ruler)
AButchersWife – 22 (Linton)
fangbooks – 2 (Campanologist)
Quentaris – 16 (Profound Beauty)
Jen – 6 (Mr Medici)
_Major_Tom – 20 (Precedence)
Robyn Young – 13 (Manighar)
afewbrokenribs – 5 (Illustrious Blue)
bon in HK – 17 (Zavite)
auntdel42 – 8 (Amercain)
castlebattlemen – 10 (Buccellati)
EmmleeA – 7 (Shoot Out)
Christina – 23 (Once We Were Wild)
The race starts at 3pm. Good luck everyone!
Photo credit: Still Life 4 by nessguide via Flickr