For non-Aussie readers who follow the blog, today we’re celebrating one of the biggest national events in Australia.
Melbournians are lucky enough to have a public holiday today, and are probably enjoying a champagne breakfast as you read this.
That’s right. They have a public holiday for a horse race.
You see why Australia is the best place to live in? The rest of us grumble about having to go to work, but seriously, who’s working now?
That’s what I thought.
So to celebrate Cup day, we’re running a Readers’ Sweep. Here’s how it works:
1. The first 24 people to comment here or post a reply to me on twitter (@BookThingo) are in.
2. Participants must sign up before 1pm to give me time to allocate the numbers.
3. Only Australian participants* are eligible, but overseas readers can wear fancy hats and join in spirit. *If you live overseas but can supply an Australian mailing address, that’s good enough.
4. I’ll assign random numbers against each participant. Depending on how many there are, we may get 2 or 3 each. The numbers will correspond to horses as per this list.
5. Each participant promises to send a book to the winner. The book can be used, as long as it’s in good nick, and it has to be a book you’d actually recommend to someone (i.e. not from your DNF pile).
6. If, for some reason, the winning number, wasn’t allocated to anyone, then whoever has the highest placing horse will be declared the winner.
Clear as mud?
I’ll announce the winner after the race (usually around 3pm AEDT). Note that, if you win, you’ll have to provide a mailing address to everyone who promised to send you a book. I’ll email you to get your details, then I’ll forward your details to everyone who entered, either via email or by sending them a private message on Twitter.
Update: When I email the winner, I’ll ask for reading preferences, which I’ll send along with your mailing address. This will help everyone send you books you’re more likely to read. However, everyone is, of course, free to send whatever book they wish to the winner.
It’s locked in! Here’s the final list of participants and the horses they’ve been allocated:
Marg — BASALTICO (18)
Nikki — WARRINGAH (15)
SueBT — MOURILYAN (5)
Cath H. — ZAVITE (10)
Edie — DAFFODIL (20)
Jacq — CRIME SCENE (8)
marybelle — ALLEZ WONDER (22)
Ruth — VIEWED (1)
MdV — LEICA DING (24)
Suzi — CEST LA GUERRE (2)
Camille — MUNSEF (9)
Joie — MASTER OREILLY (4)
Christina — ROMAN EMPEROR (6)
Jill — SHOCKING (21)
Jen — ALCOPOP (11)
Wandergurl — NEWPORT (14)
The race starts at 3pm. Good luck, everyone!